Tuesday, February 16, 2010

So, You're Thinking About Learning to Weave...

I started weaving back in 1985, and I’ve never stopped. I love the creativity that it affords me. Each project can be completely different, and as simple or complex as I want it to be. I can use any fiber, from a very fine linen or silk to a bulky wool. I can add texture, patterns, and colors. I am limited only by my imagination.

I have several looms now. I started off with a Schacht Baby Wolf. I still have one, but I also have a 36” Harrisville jack loom and a 48” Cranbrook/Schacht countermarche loom. I also have a couple of really old looms that are waiting patiently to be restored.

If you’re just beginning to weave or are thinking about taking a class, I know that the prices of looms and other equipment you would need seem very daunting. If you get ‘bitten’ by the weaving bug, there are several options that need not drain you financially. I think the best option is to check out the weaving guild(s) in your area. They often have looms and other equipment that they let folk borrow or rent at a really low price. That buys you some time to make sure that weaving is something that you really want to continue. If/when you decide that you MUST have your own loom, those same guilds are also good places to look for used looms and other weaving equipment that members have for sale.

2 comments:

  1. This past Christmas, I did my first weaving projects. Jenny taught me the basics - I made 5 scarves for my family (and one for her!) It was fun and really felt good when each one was completed. I'm looking forward to my next creations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to learn to weave. I've toured areas like Browns County, IN. and love the atmosphere of different artist, weavers, potters, etc. all working in the forum.

    ReplyDelete